http://www.ukmotorwayarchive.org/ I had forgotten about this site above, for those of us who have constructed a few of these it is a nice trip down memory lane. In those days the testing consultant was appointed by the client and under the control of the consulting engineer. Staff for the summer was the staff for the winter, difficult to find work for ten techs in the middle of winter. In the 70's and up to the middle 80's there was no computers either, so no  reports could be complied. We had to do the end of contract reports calculating standard deviations with calculators, nobody read the blooming reports after completion anyway. I am sure all the tedious work put into them is not even at a status of gathering dust somewhere. These reports would never have seen the inside of Victoria Quay. But the memories are of sunny days, long hours and good people, life was not so fast then. A lot of the M90 Craigend team are still around, still in materials, some have wandered and got lost, David Hutton, Iain Campbell, John Anthony, the "digger" with his dingo, John Neilson, Graham ??? who was on the Bankfoot job, Ian Bonar, Bobby and Tony Greer, Dave Wylie.............. come on Geoff , Bill, Henry, Lindsay, Gary help me out with these bloody names, of the disappeared!!

5 Responses to “The good old days”

1. July 16, 2009 at 8:57 am

Okay Ian, I will chase up Geoff (or Geoffery as Pam would insist)and ask him to search his ancient synapses for some answers to your sentimental enquiries.

2. ThePath July 17, 2009 at 12:35 am

@Len, nice to see you on the blog. Pengellyconsult.com eh…..just checked and the website hasnt been made yet, I presume this is because you havent got me to build it for you yet.

Mates rates may apply…..

@Dad, come on Lindsay? Lindsay Barry, he doesnt own a computer does he. Always thought of him as a mad smoking biker with two fingers up to the world. Ah well maybe I just like him coz I could sponge fags off him.

3. Ian July 17, 2009 at 5:20 pm

Lindsay Barrie, note spelling, has a laptop and a computer at home and he no longer smokes or drinks. And if you could have seen the landrover he survived a crash in you would wonder at why he is alive now. A hardy boy that one.
    Oh, and the two fingers are still up.

4. Ian November 7, 2009 at 6:04 pm

I did meet Bobby Greer recently, greyer but just as fit and skinny looking. damn it!! Shame on me but I did not recognise him immediately, it is one of those things when you have the unexpected placed in front of you it takes the brain some extra recognition time. ever have someone deliver you a cup of tea when your brain expects coffee, as that is what you asked for! similar thing. And Bobby is back in construction, but not materials testing.

5. November 9, 2010 at 1:43 am

Craigend

Ian Campbell was generous to a fault. I last saw him in Dubai, over Hogmanay. About 11 years ago. Suffice to say he was buying the rounds again. Afterwards we went to John Bainbridge’s house. Cannot tell you the rest.

Ian was diagnosed about a year later. The story goes, and I would believe it, that he was taking his usual trip to Bahrain from Khobar. He knew the guy at the toll station and used to buy say a month’s worth of tickets. This time the guy, as usual, had them ready. “Naw, I’ll just buy them one at a time now”, said Ian.

He had an operation in Glasgow and John and I spoke to him by phone afterwards. Still the same Ian. He married a Filipina (we all do), and had I think 2 kids. He had been married a long time. He could get his kids over, but our wonderful country, took 6 months, to let his wife come and look after him. He bought a house in Oban.

There was a big funeral when he died, and a lot of friends, as you can imagine, attended. (I was stuck in Dubai at the time). Tom Sherriff managed to get over.

I last talked to John 2 years ago, in Abu Dhabi.

Dave Wylie, as we all knew, was a clever boy. He is MD of the Hong Kong laboratory (ex Stanger now Carillion). Spoke to him by phone about 5 years ago. He is still there I think.

Dave Hutton was last heard of, working for CCC. But that was more than 10 years ago. There are a few Scots working for CCC. I do not know why.